NETGEAR AX1800 Mesh Extender Model EAX20 is built for the future of WiFi with great capacity, fast speed and more coverage. It is one of the most advanced extenders in the WiFi industry nowadays.
How the Extender Model EAX20 Works
The extender works like a bridge between a WiFi router (and a WiFi access point) and a WiFi device outside the range of the WiFi router. The extender performs two main jobs: the extender connects to a working WiFi network. When the extender connects over WiFi to an existing network, it functions as a network client, similar to how a WiFi device connects to a network. The extender acts as an access point for WiFi devices. The extender broadcasts its own WiFi network that WiFi devices can join. In its role as an access point, the extender performs tasks that WiFi routers do, such as broadcasting its network name (SSID).
The extender must do each of these jobs so that both ends of the bridge are in place.
Connect with the Nighthawk app
- Download the Nighthawk app on your mobile device.
- On your mobile device, open the WiFi connection manager, then locate and connect to the extender network called NETGEAR_EXT.
- Launch the Nighthawk app.
- Follow the prompts to connect your extender to your existing router WiFi network.
- Unplug your extender and move it to a new location. We recommend that the new location be about halfway between your router and the area with a poor WiFi signal.
- Power on your extender.
- Use the Router Link LED to help you choose a spot where the extender-to-router connection is optimal.
- If the Router Link LED doesn’t light white, plug the extender into an outlet closer to the router and try again. Keep moving the extender to outlets closer to the router until the Router Link LED lights white.
- Reconnect your computer or mobile device to the new extended WiFi network.
Use WPS with the PIN method
- To use the PIN method to connect a WiFi device to the extender’s WiFi network, you must know the PIN of the WiFi device that you are trying to connect to.
- Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your extender network.
- Log in to your extender
- Enter your admin user name and password and click the LOG IN button. The Status page displays.
- If your browser displays the Menu icon, click it. The extender menu displays.
- Select Settings > Do More > Connect Devices (WPS). The Connect Devices (WPS) page displays.
- Select the PIN Number radio button. The page adjusts.
- Type the PIN of the WiFi device on the field.
- Click the NEXT button. For four minutes, the extender attempts to find the computer or WiFi device.
- Within four minutes, go to the WiFi device and use its WPS software to join the WiFi network.
- To verify that the WiFi device is connected to the extender’s WiFi network, select Settings > Connected Devices.
The WiFi device displays onscreen.